[FieldTrip] Running the ICA method to remove EOG/ECG artifact on Neuromag(*.fif) data

Panagiotis Tsiatsis Panagiotis.Tsiatsis at Tuebingen.MPG.de
Fri Apr 13 19:00:14 CEST 2012

On 4/13/2012 8:50 AM, Alexandre Gramfort wrote:
> but be careful when applying ICA on neuromag data as
> channels have different types and you have signals
> with 2 orders of magnitude difference between gradiometers
> and magnetometers.
>
> I am curious to know if fieldtrip handles this properly? and if so how.
Hi all,

I am also working with CTF MEG data. What I ve been basically doing up
to now was to split the datasets in two subsets: one containing only the
MEGGRAD sensors (let s call it A)  and another containing all the rest
(let it be B). Then I would apply ICA only on the set containing the
main MEG sensors, subtract the EOG-related components and re-construct
the data without them (A'). Finally, I would merge A' with B. This works
fine and the results that I am getting are convincing, the only problem
is that of course the reference channels are still contaminated. I don t
know if this would be a problem in subsequent analysis, ie source
localization, maybe somebody who has more experience further down this
road could comment on that.

Best,
Panagiotis

--
Panagiotis S. Tsiatsis
Max Planck Institute for Biological Cybernetics