[FieldTrip] Problem with EEG channels in ft_neighborselection when running cluster statistics

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Mon Sep 19 17:13:53 CEST 2011

Hey Stephen,

please check your FT path. You are definitely not using a recent FT
version, because the line you quoted on statistics_wrapper does not
exist anymore. You can verify your path by typing in Matlab 'which
ft_defaults' or 'which ft_timelockstatistics' (without the quotes).

Due to recent changes, it might additionally help to read these two FAQs:
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_can_i_define_neighbouring_sensors
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_does_ft_neighbourselection_work

Anyway, the tutorial wiki page is indeed out of date, as the
neighbourselection is not included correctly anymore. I'm gonna fix this
:) The only thing which you need to add is
cfg.neighbours=ft_neighbourselection(cfg, [...]) before calling
ft_timelockstatistics. That's all that changed.

Best regards,
Jörn

On 9/19/2011 4:43 PM, Stephen Politzer-Ahles wrote:
> [...]
>     >
>     > ??? Error using ==> ft_neighbourselection at 114
>     > Did not find gradiometer or electrode information.
>     >
>     > Error in ==> statistics_wrapper at 241
>     >     cfg.neighbours = ft_neighbourselection(cfg,varargin{1});
>     >
>     > Error in ==> ft_timelockstatistics at 123
>     > [stat, cfg] = statistics_wrapper(cfg, varargin{:});
>     >
>     > This seems to be because when I use cfg.channel = {'EEG'}; with my
>     > data, the channel information (the variable "sens" used in
>     > ft_neighbourselection) consists only of the list of channel labels:
>     >
>     > sens =  {'FPZ'    'CPZ'    'FP2'    'F7' .........}
>     >
>     > On the other hand, when I run timelockstatistics on the sample data
>     > from the wiki, "sens" includes much more information:
>     >
>     > sens =
>     >
>     >       pnt: [151x3 double]
>     >       ori: [356x3 double]
>     >       tra: [184x356 double]
>     >     label: {151x1 cell}
>     >      unit: 'cm'
>     >
>     > I think most of that extra information is planar gradient data
>     (i.e.,
>     > it comes from GA_FIC.grad). Since my data are EEG data, I assume it
>     > wouldn't make sense to use ft_megplanar on them. So, assuming that I
>     > need to get the extra channel location information into my EEG data,
>     > does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
>     >
>     > Best,
>     > Steve Politzer-Ahles
>     >
>     > --
>     > Stephen Politzer-Ahles
>     > University of Kansas
>     > Linguistics Department
>     > http://www.linguistics.ku.edu/
>     >
>     >
>     > fieldtrip mailing list
>     > fieldtrip at donders.ru.nl <mailto:fieldtrip at donders.ru.nl>
>

>     --
>     J?rn M. Horschig
>     PhD Student
>     Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour
>     Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging
>     Radboud University Nijmegen
>     Neuronal Oscillations Group
>
>     P.O. Box 9101
>     NL-6500 HB Nijmegen
>     The Netherlands
>
>     Contact:
>     E-Mail: jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl <mailto:jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl>
>     Tel: +31-(0)24-36-68493 <tel:%2B31-%280%2924-36-68493>
>     Web: http://www.ru.nl/donders
>
>     Visiting address:
>     Trigon, room 2.30
>     Kapittelweg 29
>     NL-6525 EN Nijmegen
>     The Netherlands

>     End of fieldtrip Digest, Vol 10, Issue 25

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student

E-Mail: jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Tel:    +31-(0)24-36-68493