[FieldTrip] Problem with EEG channels in ft_neighborselection when running cluster statistics

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Mon Sep 19 09:12:32 CEST 2011

Hey Stephen,

You need to specify the position of your electrodes, which are mostly
stored in an 'elec' structure. If you do not have that available, you
can circumvent the problem by defining a cfg.layout. In that case,
neighbouring sensors will be selected according to how they are placed
in that layout-file you specify. That's not 100% correct of course, but
at least an estimate how the sensors are positioned (note that a layout
has only 2D coordinates). For example, you could use cfg.layout =
'EEG1010.lay' as a start.

Anyway, could you try using a more recent version of FieldTrip? A few
months ago, we changed the way the neighbourselection works (actually,
you have to call cfg.neighbours = ft_neighbourselection manually, now).
You can then also check with cfg.feedback = 'yes' whether the
neighbourselection looks alright to you (that's the same as calling
ft_neighbourplot)

Hope it helps! Best regards,
Jörn

On 9/17/2011 6:42 PM, Stephen Politzer-Ahles wrote:
> When attempting to run cluster statistics on my EEG data (originally
> from Neuroscan .CNT, then processed in EEGLAB and finally imported to
> fieldtrip) using ft_timelockstatistics(), I receive the following
> error message:
>
> ??? Error using ==> ft_neighbourselection at 114
> Did not find gradiometer or electrode information.
>
> Error in ==> statistics_wrapper at 241
>     cfg.neighbours = ft_neighbourselection(cfg,varargin{1});
>
> Error in ==> ft_timelockstatistics at 123
> [stat, cfg] = statistics_wrapper(cfg, varargin{:});
>
> This seems to be because when I use cfg.channel = {'EEG'}; with my
> data, the channel information (the variable "sens" used in
> ft_neighbourselection) consists only of the list of channel labels:
>
> sens =  {'FPZ'    'CPZ'    'FP2'    'F7' .........}
>
> On the other hand, when I run timelockstatistics on the sample data
> from the wiki, "sens" includes much more information:
>
> sens =
>
>       pnt: [151x3 double]
>       ori: [356x3 double]
>       tra: [184x356 double]
>     label: {151x1 cell}
>      unit: 'cm'
>
> I think most of that extra information is planar gradient data (i.e.,
> it comes from GA_FIC.grad). Since my data are EEG data, I assume it
> wouldn't make sense to use ft_megplanar on them. So, assuming that I
> need to get the extra channel location information into my EEG data,
> does anyone have any ideas on how to do that?
>
> Best,
> Steve Politzer-Ahles
>
> --
> Stephen Politzer-Ahles