[FieldTrip] Will different EEG motages have effect on the result of granger connectivity?

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Mon Sep 26 11:45:33 CEST 2011

Dear Weina,

Basically, any montage will cause signal characteristics from the
sensors used for re-referencing to show up in all other sensors. If you
use a common average, the signal from any sensor will depend to some
degree to any other sensor (because common average uses all sensors for
rereferencing). If you use only Cz, you will obtain a high granger
causality for any sensors to Cz. This would of course not reflect a real
brain process, but is just the consequence of substracting the signal
from Cz from all other sensors. Best would be to use a sensor that you
will not include in computing granger causality (e.g. a mastoid, or
choose Cz but then exclude this sensor for further analyses).

Best,
Jörn

On 9/25/2011 7:48 PM, lwn_07 wrote:
> Thanks Jan-Mathijs.  Does it mean if I selected my data segment from
> mono montage (reference to mastoid), i'd better  calculate the granger
> causality in mono montage?  Some paper selected Cz as reference, is
> that OK?
>
> Best regards.
> Weina
>
> ???? iPad
>
> ? 2011-9-25,23:36,jan-mathijs schoffelen <jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
> <mailto:jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl>> ??:
>
>> Hi Weina,
>>
>> Yes, granger causality results will for sure change when you use
>> different montages. When you replace each measurement (what you call
>> 'mono-montage') with that measurement minus the average across the
>> whole recording array (what you call 'average montage') the amount
>> with which signals can be explained in terms of their own and the
>> other signals' past will change as well. This most likely leads to
>> 'granger causality' estimates which just reflect spurious interactions.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Jan-Mathijs
>>
>> On Sep 25, 2011, at 1:42 PM, ??? wrote:
>>
>>> Dear all,
>>>   Is anyone knows about that wether different EEG motages (such as
>>> mono-motage or average montage) have effect on the result of granger
>>> connectivity?
>>>
>>> Weina

>> Jan-Mathijs Schoffelen, MD PhD
>> Donders Institute for Brain, Cognition and Behaviour,
>> Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,
>> Radboud University Nijmegen, The Netherlands
>> J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl <mailto:J.Schoffelen at donders.ru.nl>
>> Telephone: +31-24-3614793

Jörn M. Horschig
PhD Student