[FieldTrip] loading brainvision data

B.Mouthaan at neuro.umcn.nl B.Mouthaan at neuro.umcn.nl
Thu Sep 22 11:38:04 CEST 2011

Hello Fieldtrippers,

For an assignment during my internship at the Radboud UMC, I want try to use fieldtrip for Beamforming at Auditory Evoked Potentials.
However the first step is unsuccesful. I try to load *.eeg , *.vhdr , *.vmrk and *.avr files but I receive multiple errors.

I also tried to use the example script in the tutorial. However this doesn't work either. I get errors like:

??? Error using ==> ft_read_header at 86
file or directory 'heineken000003-kop.eeg' does not exist

Error in ==> trialfun_general at 55
hdr = ft_read_header(cfg.headerfile, 'headerformat', cfg.headerformat);

Error in ==> ft_definetrial at 161
    [trl, event] = feval(cfg.trialfun, cfg);

Especially the directory error pops up frequently. I don't have a clue.
My script is like this:

cfg = [];

cfg.datafile     = 'heineken000003.eeg';
cfg.headerfile   = 'heineken000003.vhdr'

cfg.trialdef.eventtype = '?';

ft_definetrial(cfg)

Can anyone help me? FIY I lack experience of working with EEG and fieltrip, but I work with Matlab regularly.

Hope to hear from you!

Brian Mouthaan

Het UMC St Radboud staat geregistreerd bij de Kamer van Koophandel in het handelsregister onder nummer 41055629.
The Radboud University Nijmegen Medical Centre is listed in the Commercial Register of the Chamber of Commerce under file number 41055629.