[FieldTrip] source localization difficulties

Kanal Eliezer ekanal at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 20 20:28:58 CEST 2011

Hello folks -

I'm trying to use source localization on a number of datasets, and I'm finding the FT functions confusing.

Firstly, and most problematic, examining the same MRI data using `ft_read_mri` + `ft_volumerealign` and the tkmedit tool that comes with FreeSurfer seems to show two completely different brains. I'm unable to locate landmarks in the FT browser that I can see in the tkmedit window, and vice versa. The data isn't simply flipped; it looks that each slice is different. Why would this be the case?

Secondly, in an attempt to coregister the MRI and MEG data, I used `ft_determine_coordsys`, which simply opened a window with a picture of three axes (see attached image "ft_determine_coordsys.png"). Shouldn't there be image data overlaid on the axes?

Lastly, I've already segmented and coregistered the MRI and MEG data using FreeSurfer. Is there a way to simply load this data into FieldTrip and get right to plotting the data?

Thanks!

Elli Kanal

Eliezer Kanal, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
Carnegie Mellon University
4400 Fifth Ave, Suite 110A
Pittsburgh PA 15213
P: 412-268-4115