[FieldTrip] cortical time-course reconstruction

Paolo Belardinelli paolo.belardinelli at med.uni-tuebingen.de
Wed Sep 14 18:18:36 CEST 2011

Hi Robert.
We have some nice coherence maps with peaks in M1 for a finger tapping
task. We were wondering how to properly reconstruct the power
time-course in the M1 area in order to use it as a further reference
signal.

-Is the code necessary for the approach described in (Schoffelen et al.,
NeuroImage 2008) already implemented in ft (we observed in the code that
it is possible in ft_sourceanalysis.m to give a location for a
reference dipole but we found no documentation)?

-Is the only reliable solution for reconstructing a time-course to
project the activity in the dominant direction? We have the eigenvalues
of the first dipole which are normally 3 to 6 times larger
than the ones of the second. We are not sure this is enough to neglect
the second component.

- One last technical question: in the mailing list it is said that the
orientation of the dipole is saved in source.avg.ori but it doesn't seem
like that to us. Maybe we are doing something wrong.

Best regards and thank you for your work,

Paolo and Erick