[FieldTrip] Problems with automatic artifact rejection

Alicia González ali.gm88 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 11:08:21 CEST 2011

I'm using the data provided in the tutorial: ArtifactMEG.ds (This dataset
was acquired continuously with trials of 10 seconds, and during the
recording the experimenter instructed the subject to make artifacts and
wrote down the trial number in which the artifacts were made)
And I running the code below:

cfg                    = [];
cfg.dataset            = 'ArtifactMEG.ds';
cfg.headerformat       = 'ctf_ds';
ctf.dataformat         = 'ctf_ds';
cfg.trialdef.eventtype = 'trial';
cfg                    = ft_definetrial(cfg);

trl                    = cfg.trl(1:50,:); % just use the first 50 trials for
the time being

% jump
cfg                    = [];
cfg.trl = trl;
cfg.padding = 0;
cfg.datafile   = 'ArtifactMEG.ds';
cfg.headerfile = 'ArtifactMEG.ds';
cfg.continuous = 'yes';

% channel selection, cutoff and padding
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.channel    = 'MEG';
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.cutoff     = 20;
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.trlpadding = 0.5*cfg.padding;
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.artpadding = 0.5*cfg.padding;
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.fltpadding = 0;

% algorithmic parameters
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.cumulative    = 'yes';
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.medianfilter  = 'yes';
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.medianfiltord = 9;
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.absdiff       = 'yes';

% make the process interactive
cfg.artfctdef.zvalue.interactive = 'yes';

[cfg, artifact_jump] = ft_artifact_zvalue(cfg);