[FieldTrip] Creating volume conduction model and leadfieldmatrix using .elp (jan-mathijs schoffelen)

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Tue Oct 11 12:34:07 CEST 2011

Dear Brian

I suggest you look at
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/how_are_electrodes_magnetometers_or_gradiometers_described
to convert your electrode positions to fieldtrip format and
http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/faq/is_it_important_to_have_accurate_measurements_of_electrode_locations_for_eeg_source_reconstruction
and the other faqs for more background information.

 Furthermore, you can use the standard BEM volume conduction model that is available from the FTP server and spatially coresister your electrodes with the standard BEM geometry using ft_electroderealign or another method of your choise. Following that, I suggest you do some forward simulations (ft_dipolesimulation) and visualise the scalp topographies to check that they make sense prior to moving to the inverse source estimatione (ft_sourceanalysis or ft_dipolefitting).

best regards,
Robert