[FieldTrip] Power Time Course

Roemer van der Meij r.vandermeij at donders.ru.nl
Tue Nov 8 23:19:35 CET 2011

Hi Francesco,

I don't entirely understand what you referring to either, but it sounds
at least like a within channel phenomenon? In that case, you can use
cfg.output = 'pow', or 'fourier', which do not compute the between
channel CSD, saving quite a bit memory.

If you are interested in the total energy over time of your signal, but
only for the 1-150 Hz part, it might be easier to do a bandpass, and
taking the square of your raw signal (energy is usually squared
amplitude I thought?). If that is what your intending though.

Cheers,
Roemer

On 08/11/2011 11:33, Eelke Spaak wrote:
> Dear Francesco,
>
> Your question is not entirely clear to me. Do you want to estimate the
> timecourse of the total (i.e. non-frequency-resolved) power in your
> signal? In that case, frequency analysis is not the way to go;
> basically your signal itself contains this information already (you
> may want to rectify (abs()) it first, or apply a hilbert transform).
> Also, I don't understand the reference to ft_componentanalysis.
>
> Furthermore, the code you paste in your email seems valid to me. (You
> could possibly simplify it by using cfg.toi = comp.time{1}; to get an
> estimate of power at each time point in your signal. ) What does not
> seem to work, in your case?
>
> Best,
> Eelke
>

> 2011/11/8<f.dipompeo at unich.it>:
>> I would like to know if there is a ft function to calculate the Time Course
>> of Power of Electric and Magnetic Channels and IC coming from
>> ft_componentanalysis in the case of continuous resting state data.
>>
>> I tried to do it using ft_freqanalysis with 'mtmconvol' as method and a
>> "toi" large as my whole acquisition time window (the script is below).
>> Time Course of Power should be obtained by summing up the results over all
>> the frequencies.
>>
>> Thank you very much,
>>
>> Francesco

>> cfg=[];
>> cfg.method = 'mtmconvol';
>> cfg.output = 'powandcsd';
>> cfg.taper = 'hanning';
>> cfg.trials = 'all';
>> cfg.foi = 1:150;
>> cfg.toi = [comp.time{1}(1,1):0.02:comp.time{1}(1,end)];
>> cfg.t_ftimwin = 4./cfg.foi;
>> [freq_comp_tr] = ft_freqanalysis(cfg,comp);

Roemer van der Meij M.Sc.
PhD student
Centre for Cognition
P.O. Box 9104