[FieldTrip] ft_plot_topo3d crash

Roemer van der Meij r.vandermeij at donders.ru.nl
Tue Nov 8 23:09:16 CET 2011

Hi Julian,

As a sort of last-resort workaround:
If you're not using it for publication quality figures, but for e.g.
databrowsing, you could create a set of nasty looking figures by setting
the renderer to zbuffer, instead of opengl. You can do it while creating
a fig by figure('renderer','zbuffer'). Zbuffer doesn't work with
transparency, which is essential for masking. If you don't use masking,
it might actually look fine I think, but not entirely sure. At least you
can get some workable figures now, maybe create publication quality on a
different machine?

Hope it's a bit useful,

Cheers,
Roemer

On 07/11/2011 10:12, Julian Keil wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just ran into the same problem on my 64bit OSX Lion using the "triplot"-function.
> The problem is, that switching to software-openGL is not supported:
>
>>> opengl software
> Warning: Switching to software OpenGL rendering is not supported on the MAC platform
>
> Does anyone have a hint how to change the renderer?
>
> Best,
> Julian
>

> Am 06.11.2011 um 11:04 schrieb Gio Piantoni:
>
>> Hi Karl,
>>
>> To me, it sounds like a problem with the OpenGL drivers.
>> There was a discussion on that about VNC crashing on Linux, but maybe
>> it applies to your Mac configuration as well. See:
>> http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2011-May/003850.html
>> http://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2011-May/003852.html
>>
>> Please, report back if you find a solution.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Gio
>>
>> On Sat, Nov 5, 2011 at 17:55, Karl Doron<karl.doron at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>> I'm trying to use a 3d plot function and experiencing matlab crashes. As
>>> arguments, I'm passing ft_plot_topo3d a 246x3 matrix from grad.pnt and a
>>> vector of t values for each sensor.
>>> The plot appears correctly on the first attempt; however, any second
>>> attempts to use the function, i.e., to plot a different time point, cause
>>> the entire matlab session to crash. Since the whole session crashes, I don't
>>> have any error message to report.
>>> I'm using Matlab R2009B and Mac OSx Lion.
>>> Thanks for any feedback.
>>> karl
>>>

>>> Karl Doron, Ph.D.
>>> Department of Psychological and Brain Sciences
>>> University of California, Santa Barbara

Roemer van der Meij M.Sc.
PhD student
Centre for Cognition