[FieldTrip] ICA+frqanalysis questions

Yuval Harpaz yuvharpaz at gmail.com
Fri May 27 05:40:14 CEST 2011

Dear discussion group
Did anybody consider smoothing or filtering the component trace before
rejecting it?
it seems that the added noise to no-blink trials is in a frequency higher
than that typical to blinks. what if we evaluate the component weight,
creating a trace for the eyeblink component for every trial, then bandpass
filter the blink trace , say 0.1-25Hz, and only then remove the component
from the data?
yuval

On 27 May 2011 06:16, Joseph Dien <jdien07 at mac.com> wrote:

> Stefan, just to be clear, I don't think any of us were saying not to use
> ICA to correct blinks.  David was just saying that there are potential
> concerns when one only applies the ICA to the blink trials rather than to
> all the trials.  I myself use EEGlab's infomax implementation in the
> automatic eyeblink correction tool of my EP Toolkit (
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/erppcatoolkit/).
>
> Now that said, I should add a little more nuance to my response.  One of
> the things I observed (or rather, that Tim Curran pointed out to me) is that
> when you apply ICA to remove eyeblink artifacts in this manner, it can
> actually substantially increase the noise level in the data, so for the
> trials without eyeblinks it can have a considerable cost.  So in order to
> balance the cost/benefit ratio, what I did was to include a trial by trial
> criterion that the putative eyeblink factors would only be removed if doing
> so reduced the overall variance of the trial.  This approach does still have
> some potential for causing the concerns that David raises but not as much as
> only applying the ICA to blink trials since it does end up getting applied
> to non-blink trials too.  This does mean that one should be cautious about
> any apparent effects in the artifact corrected data that are centered around
> the eyes (that have a blink topography) but that goes without saying in any
> case.  So anyway, I agree, it's not perfect but seems to be the best
> available option.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Joe
>
> On May 24, 2011, at 3:11 AM, Stefan Debener wrote:
>
>  Hi Odelia,
>
> I have a slightly different opinion here. It is certainly true that any
> filter has the tendency to distort data (with distortion I mean that data
> consists of a mixture of some wanted, true signal and some unwanted signal,
> and that the removal of the unwanted part of the signal is neither complete
> nor specific). In our lab we regularly use ICA for artefact removal (and
> more), and the benefit/gain is clearly are much larger than the distortion.
> In fact there are a number of examples out showing that currently only ICA
> (or related tools) can recover the study of (a substantial fraction of the
> wanted) EEG signal (but again, it is NOT a perfect tool at all), in
> particular in cases where other means of SNR enhancement don't work well
> (averaging, spectral analysis). I am happy to provide references if you are
> interested...
>
> For the evaluation of outcome it would be reasonable to not evaluate the
> ERP alone, as this could be misleading. Better evaluate the sensitivity and
> specificity of an eye blink attentuation approach on the single trial (and
> single subject) level, this will give you good insight. And it is worth
> keeping in mind that the preprocessing of the data (among other issues, like
> [...]

Y.Harpaz

a link to the BIU MEG lab:
http://faculty.biu.ac.il/~goldsa/index.html

*"Many were increasingly of the opinion that they'd all made a big mistake
in coming down from the trees in the first place. And some said that even
the trees had been a bad move, and that no one should ever have left the
oceans". Douglas Adams
*