[FieldTrip] ICA+frqanalysis questions

Stefan Debener stefan.debener at uni-oldenburg.de
Tue May 24 09:11:16 CEST 2011

Hi Odelia,

I have a slightly different opinion here. It is certainly true that any
filter has the tendency to distort data (with distortion I mean that
data consists of a mixture of some wanted, true signal and some unwanted
signal, and that the removal of the unwanted part of the signal is
neither complete nor specific). In our lab we regularly use ICA for
artefact removal (and more), and the benefit/gain is clearly are much
larger than the distortion. In fact there are a number of examples out
showing that currently only ICA (or related tools) can recover the study
of (a substantial fraction of the wanted) EEG signal (but again, it is
NOT a perfect tool at all), in particular in cases where other means of
SNR enhancement don't work well (averaging, spectral analysis). I am
happy to provide references if you are interested...

For the evaluation of outcome it would be reasonable to not evaluate the
ERP alone, as this could be misleading. Better evaluate the sensitivity
and specificity of an eye blink attentuation approach on the single
trial (and single subject) level, this will give you good insight. And
it is worth keeping in mind that the preprocessing of the data (among
other issues, like the quality of the recording and so on) largely
determines the quality of the output (for some introduction you may look
up chapter 3.1 in Ullsperger & Debener, 2010, Simultaneous EEG and FMRI,
Oxford University Press). Just by a different preprocessing ICA output
could vary between crap and excellent unmixing. Thus a poor ICA eye
blink attenuation would make me a bit suspicious...

Best,
Stefan

Prof. Dr. Stefan Debener
Neuropsychology	Lab