[FieldTrip] Different way of calculating the covariance for LCM

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Thu Mar 24 14:01:33 CET 2011

Dear JM et al,

> see for example in version 20110222 ft_sourceanalysis from line 783
>  elseif Ntrials>1
>    % average the single-trial covariance matrices
>    Cy  = reshape(mean(data.cov,1), [Nchans Nchans]);
>    % select the average ERF
>    avg = data.avg;
>    Nrepetitions = 1;
>
> of course developers of fieldtrip would be the experts to comment on
> this.

I am not sure what kind of comment you are looking for here. I think
the previous discussion with much appreciated contributions by Yuval
and Michael was quite conclusive.

The difference between keeptrials='yes' and keeptrials='no' is that
the single replicates are kept in memory when keeptrials='yes' whereas
the covariance will be averaged (across the single trial covariances)
if you specify keeptrials='no'. The default behaviour of
sourceanalysis is to average across single replicate covariances
before computing the spatial filters. This is done to ensure a
relatively robust estimate of the covariance matrix. In general,
covariances estimated from single trials are just very noisy and don't
lead to good quality source reconstructions. In other words, if you
would want to have a single trial estimate of the reconstructed source
time series, you still need to compute the spatial filters based on a
covariance averaged across multiple trials. Once you have the spatial
filter, you can project the single trial sensor-level data through them.

I believe this is most easily achieved by a 2-step procedure.

tlck = ft_timelockanalysis(cfg, data); (with keeptrials = 'no')

tlck2 = ft_timelockanalysis(cfg, data); (with keeptrials = 'yes')

source = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, tlck); (with keepfilters = 'yes')

cfg.grid.filter = source.avg.filter;
cfg.rawtrial = 'yes';
source = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, tlck2);

This should (I think) give you the single trial time courses.

But perhaps I am totally missing the point and this is not the
information you were looking for.

BW,

JM

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen