[FieldTrip] Performing statistics based on phase/amplitude correlation

Roemer van der Meij r.vandermeij at donders.ru.nl
Sat Mar 19 05:59:50 CET 2011

Hi Eelke,

This is how I would approach the problem:
1) compute the inner-product of the phase and amplitude vector per
frequency pair, per trial /(element-wise product and sum)/
- resulting in a single complex number per frequency pair, per trial
2) divide this by the product of the norms of both vectors: this will
make sure the magnitude is normalized and goes from 0 to 1
2b) average over trials /(you could also do this before step 2)/
3) shuffle the trials of the amplitude and the trials of phase vector,
and compute the above for each 'randomly paired trail' /(phase of one
trial, amp of another)/
4) do this, say a 100 times or so, collecting the magnitudes of the
complex numbers. This way, you will have 100 numbers per frequency pair,
comprising a surrogate distribution of coupling
5) pick the highest number per frequency pair of the surrogate
distribution, the 100th percentile, or estimate a normal distribution to
pick a higher percentile
6) use this number per frequency pair to threshold your
averaged-over-trials coupling, anything above threshold could be
considered non-random coupling/(do keep an eye for evoked effects if
your original trials are short, as these could be quite similar for the
random coupled trials)/

This is the way Eric and I approach PAC. If I was in Nijmegen I could
explain our approach in more detail, but I'm doing a series of
lab-visits in the US (Seattle atm :))

If this doesn't work in your case, I would fake ft_freqstatistics in
thinking your correlation data was freqdata, after doing a Fisher
Z-transform on them.

Hope it helps!

Roemer

Roemer van der Meij M.Sc.