[FieldTrip] ft_componentanalysis component timecourse

Kanal Eliezer ekanal at cmu.edu
Fri Mar 4 19:55:43 CET 2011

Hello Jörn -

Thank you for your detailed response. I just spent a while discussing this with a coworker, and I think my confusion stems from how these components are represented in the data. It looks like the ft_componentanalysis function looks for components in the *sensor* space; i.e., which weighting of sensor configurations provide the components with the largest power. These configurations are visible with ft_topoplotIC, or alongside the trial data using ft_componentbrowser.

My question is now, though, what if my data (or noise) is not represented as a pattern in "channel space," but rather as a temporal pattern? Is it possible to use ft_componentanalysis to obtain temporal components as well?

I think this question makes more sense phrased mathematically. Currently, we seem to be doing the following (note comp = components for berevity):

[(time * trials) x comp] [comp x chan] = (time * trials) x chan,
       comp.trials    X    comp.topo   =         data

where (time * trials) represents a concatenation of all timeseries for all trials for a given channel. Why can't this be rearranged to have

[(chan * trials) x comp] [comp x time] = (chan * trials) x time,

where the components represent temporal features of the data?

(As a separate question, we could also find the components for a single trial at a time,
	[chan x comp] [comp x time] = chan x time,
and then examine the different components that arise across trials for similarities? At least for noise reduction, it's much more likely that a particularly strong within-trial signal will be a noise signal - e.g., heartbeat, eyeblink, muscle motion - than anything else.)

This has gotten long, so just to reiterate, my main questions is: can ft_componentanalysis be used to find temporal components as well as sensor ones? Thanks -

Elli