[FieldTrip] PLV analysis clarification

Stanley Klein sklein at berkeley.edu
Fri Mar 25 20:14:11 CET 2011

Thanks Jan for that detailed discussion.  I'd like to just focus on issues
regarding the PLV, the topic of recent discussion.

Could someone discuss the present status of the phase locking value?

I recall that when Lachaux et al. (1999) introduced it (I think it was
them) I didn't understand what is the advantage of adding unit magnitude
phasors. I would have thought that neglecting the magnitude of the phasor
would give a noisier measure of coherence.

Another worry is that the PLV includes the real part of the phasor which is
contaminated by the volume conduction from the forward model.  To avoid that
contamination many people only look at the imaginary part (the aspect of PLV
with 90 deg phase shift). The problem with the imaginary part is that one
loses the information from the non-volume conduction real part.

One also needs to consider the potential contamination due to the reference.
So PLV is a topic on which care must be taken.

I'm interested in the current thinking on these issues.

thanks
Stan