[FieldTrip] LCMV and SAM

Johanna Zumer johanna.zumer at donders.ru.nl
Fri Jul 22 08:26:04 CEST 2011

Hi all,

As of June 6, 2011 'beamformer_sam' was put back into the Fieldtrip toolbox
(after it had gone missing for some time), although, a warning that it has
been awhile since the code was tested.

I think there are other differences than just the orientation selection
(between the original-CTF SAM and LCMV in FT), although that is a large part
of it.
Note the 'fixedori' option in both FT functions (beamformer_sam and
beamformer_lcmv).   If set to 'yes' in beamformer_lcmv, it will give a
scalar output (similar, maybe equivalent, to fixedori='robert' output in
beamformer_sam), both which use SVD to find the orientation. (Default for
'fixedori' in beamformer_lcmv is 'no' so will give a vector output by
default).  The default option for 'fixedori' in beamformer_sam is 'spinning'
which is the method described by Jed, and I think is what matches the CTF
implementation.

Cheers,
Johanna