[FieldTrip] Power analysis of resting state data

Belluscio, Beth (NIH/NINDS) [E] BelluscB at ninds.nih.gov
Wed Jul 27 22:39:46 CEST 2011

Hi Fieldtrip users-
  I am interested in calculating the Power of different frequency bands at each channel or in groups of channels during resting state.

 Since I don't have trials per se, and actually no triggers with which to define a period of time for analysis, I did not call ft_definetrial.  Rather, I used ft_preprocessing with the information I usually put into ft_definetrial, including:
                cfg.dataset = 'dataset';
                cfg.channel = {'MEG'};
                cfg.continuous = 'yes';
                cfg.detrend = 'yes';
                cfg.dftfilter = 'yes';
                cfg.dftfreq = [60 120 180];
               cfg.method = 'channel';
                Data = ft_preprocessing(cfg)
The command window then indicates that it is processing each of the 275 channels.
However, the output says:
                Data =
                                hdr: [1x1 struct]
                                label: {'MZP01'}
                                time: {[1x21600 double]}
                                trial: {[1x21600 double]}
                                fsample: 1200
                                sampleinfo: [1 21600]
                                grad: [1x1 struct]
                                cfg: [1x1 struct]

Calling ft_freqanalysis after that does a nice job of giving me the Power of frequency bands specified for one channel, which I assume is MZP01.

Is there a way for me to do this and generate a matrix with such a calculation for each channel (eg 275x20)?
Is there a way to specify groups of channels in a customized way, without relying on their names (I don't just want all Occipital, all Parietal, etc)?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Beth.

Beth Belluscio MD-PhD
Clinical Fellow