[FieldTrip] LCMV and SAM

Luo, Jessie (NIH/NIMH) [V] luoj at mail.nih.gov
Sat Jul 23 18:34:01 CEST 2011

Thanks Jed and Johanna for your input.

Jessie
From: Johanna Zumer [johanna.zumer at donders.ru.nl]
Sent: Friday, July 22, 2011 2:26 AM
To: Email discussion list for the FieldTrip project
Subject: Re: [FieldTrip] LCMV and SAM

Hi all,

As of June 6, 2011 'beamformer_sam' was put back into the Fieldtrip toolbox (after it had gone missing for some time), although, a warning that it has been awhile since the code was tested.

I think there are other differences than just the orientation selection (between the original-CTF SAM and LCMV in FT), although that is a large part of it.
Note the 'fixedori' option in both FT functions (beamformer_sam and beamformer_lcmv).   If set to 'yes' in beamformer_lcmv, it will give a scalar output (similar, maybe equivalent, to fixedori='robert' output in beamformer_sam), both which use SVD to find the orientation. (Default for 'fixedori' in beamformer_lcmv is 'no' so will give a vector output by default).  The default option for 'fixedori' in beamformer_sam is 'spinning' which is the method described by Jed, and I think is what matches the CTF implementation.

Cheers,
Johanna