[FieldTrip] ft_freqstatistics and FDR-correction

Patricia Wollstadt Patricia.Wollstadt at gmx.de
Tue Jan 25 18:08:38 CET 2011

Dear all,

I'm still trying to identify the underlying reason for the issue described below. I ran the analysis in debug mode (I'm using Matlab2008b and the Fieldtrip-release from the 16th of January 2011) and found that the matrix 'resample', that is generated in 'statistics_montecarlo', line 187:

resample = resampledesign(cfg, design);

doesn't contain actual permutations of my initial design, but rather sorted rowvectors from 1 to 80 (no of subjects). So (since there is no permutation of the units of observation) the 'randstat' that is subsequently calculated for each row of the resample-matrix is always the same.
Is this maybe due to my design and my units of observations respectively? I am looking at age-dependent variations in resting-state data, so my UO are 80 subjects, divided into four age groups. The commandline-output of the 'resampledesign'-function is as follows:

total number of measurements     = 80
total number of variables        = 2
number of independent variables  = 1
number of unit variables         = 1
number of within-cell variables = 0
number of control variables      = 0
using a permutation resampling approach
repeated measurement in variable 1 over 80 levels
number of repeated measurements in each level is 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1

Is this correct? Shouldn't this read 'repeated measurement in variable 2 over 4 levels' with the number of subjects per group as repeated measurements within a condition? Still I am pretty sure about my design matrix, which contains the indices 1 to 80 (for all subjects) in the first row (this is my cfg.uvar) with the corresponding age groups (1 to 4) in the second row (cfg.ivar, see my previous email below). I use an 'indepsamplesF'-statistic, since I am comparing between four groups of different subjects (averaged over trials).

I hope, I got the settings and my design right. Any suggestions, whether this is a problem due to wrong configurations in my script are very welcome.

Right now I work around this issue by replacing line 279 in 'statistics_montecarlo':

tmpdesign = design(:,resample(i,:));

with:

tmpdesign = design(:,randperm(size(design,2)));

creating permutations of my design 'by hand'. Is this acceptable or is there anything I'm maybe missing.

Thank you very much, kind regards,

Patricia

-------- Original-Nachricht --------