[FieldTrip] question on beamformers

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 12:18:47 CET 2011

Dear Marcel,

My two cents are the following:

I would recommend to compute common filter over ALL conditions, pre AND
post. This will make sure you use as much information as possible to
calculate your cross-spectral density matrix and subsequent filter. I assume
you assume that the location/orientation of the sources do not change before
and after stimulus. Also, in the case that you are looking for a
post-stimulus beta DECREASE it will help you to accurately determine
post-stimulus activity based on a filter calculated from of a period where
there is most (beta) signal.

Then, for your contrast project your conditions, pre and post *separately*
and do your relative contrast then: e.g. projected post-stimulus activity A
/ projected pre-stimulus activity A, and same for B. Then compare relative A
- or / by B.

Bottom line, do your common filter on everything, project and compare
everything separately after that.

Hope that helps,

Stephen