[FieldTrip] reading EDF+ annotation channel with FieldTrip

Ingrid Nieuwenhuis inieuwenhuis at berkeley.edu
Mon Jan 10 21:58:41 CET 2011

Hi

I would like to read in EDF+ data with FieldTrip, including triggers
that are coded in the annotation channel. FieldTrip has recently been
updated to be able to read EDF+ data (Thanks Robert!). Before, FieldTrip
could only read EDF data (so then it could not read events which are
coded on the annotation channel). However, in the EDF+ data that I have
(which is generate by Net Station software, EGI company), the events on
the annotation channel are not read in correctly. I asked EGI support
for the definition they use to write the events to the annotation
channel in the EDF+ format as is produced by Net Station, and I got this
answer from one of their technicians:

- Each annotation channel contains a time keeping TAL for each
EDF+ block, which is +blockTime[20][20][0]

Then, it contains each event for the block, in this format.
         +startTime[21]duration[20]name[20][0]