[FieldTrip] Single Precision in FieldTrip (2011)

"Jörn M. Horschig" jm.horschig at donders.ru.nl
Mon Feb 14 16:18:36 CET 2011

Dear all,

This mail can be considered as a follow-up from an issue raised back in
2006 - just a little bit more recent (btw, there maybe should a more
user-friendly interface to search in the FT mailing archive, it took
some time to check if this question has been brought up before).

Today, I was thinking about ways to reduce the memory use of
FieldTrip/Matlab especially when handling large amount of data - other
ways than using machines with huge memory capacities. In the old mailing
list, I found a mail conversation started by Ali M. about single
precision in 2006. Matlab, and FieldTrip, has advanced quite a lot since
then, which resulted in removing at least that one particular Matlab-bug
on my machine ;) However, in the past I have found that computations
using single precision still yields problems such as wrong results or
also incompatibilty of certain functions/operations. I wonder how severe
these problems are with current Matlab/FieldTrip versions.

Does anyone have experience with single precision computations using
FieldTrip? Is it valid or even advisable to use single precision
calculations?
FYI, my machine runs Win7 64-bit and Matlab 7.9.0.529 (R2009b)

Kind regards,
Jörn

--
Jörn M. Horschig