[FieldTrip] FT doesn't close .fif files

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Wed Feb 9 10:43:55 CET 2011

Hi Laurence

thanks for the reply to Scott. I had typed my email on the train
yesterday evening (while offline) and sent it out this morning,
without checking whether there was any news.

Does fiff_setup_read_raw take a significant amount of time? I.e. is
there a severe performance impact if we would call it on each
ft_read_data and fclose also on each call?

If Scott follows standard FieldTrip practise, he could very well call
ft_read_header in his script but he cannot pass the hdr into the
subsequent ft_read_data calls (because those are done by
ft_preprocessing, which will read it's own copy of the header info
anyway).

Is the position of the file pointer relevant in the subsequent calls
to ft_read_data? If not, then we could also do a plain fopen instead
of fiff_setup_read_raw on subsequent calls to ft_read_data and also
fclose on each call. A fopen/fseek/fclose does not take any measurable
time on a modern operating system and file system (because the file is
read-cached in memory anyway) and the advantage of the stateless
implementation is worth more than lossing a milisecond on an operation
that takes a second or more anyway (which is reading the actual data
data and pumping it to memory).

What we could also do (alternative to the two options above) is to
have a persistent variable for the filename and for the fid in
ft_read_header. Using those, it could close the previous file it it
detects that a new file is opened.

best
Robert