[FieldTrip] Problem plotting independent components

Dave Deriso dderiso at ucsd.edu
Wed Dec 7 23:34:48 CET 2011

Hi Johanna,

Thanks for taking a look. I could not find a method inside *
ft_componentanalysis* that extracts real values (although using real()
could also accomplish this), however the warning seems to indicate that the
complex values are ignored. Do you think this is still an issue? The error
with *ft_databrowser* indicates a lack of "unique sample points" from some
kind of grid, which is perhaps a bigger problem. Any thoughts? Thanks again!

Cheers,
Dave

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 3:59 AM, Johanna Zumer
<johanna.zumer at donders.ru.nl>wrote:

> Hi Dave,
> Perhaps this error is due to the complex data that ft_databrowser cannot
> plot?  If you re-calculate the components and get out real-only values, do
> you still get this error?
>
> Best,
> Johanna
>

> On 7 December 2011 02:07, Dave Deriso <dderiso at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>
>> I should also note that when I tried the *ft_databrowser* function it
>> was unable to plot the component topographies because there weren't enough
>> grid points. Have you encountered this before? Thanks again for all of your
>> great help!!
>>
>> My code:
>>
>> cfg = [];
>> cfg.viewmode = 'component'
>> ft_databrowser(cfg, comp);
>>

>> Output:
>>
>> creating layout from cfg.grad
>> creating layout for neuromag306alt system
>> the input is component data with 306 components and 306 original channels
>> detected   0 visual artifacts
>> redrawing with viewmode component
>> fetching data... done
>> fetching artifacts... done
>> preprocessing data... done
>> plotting artifacts...
>> plotting events...
>> plotting data...
>>
>> Warning: Imaginary parts of complex X and/or Y arguments ignored
>> > In ft_plot_vector at 191
>>   In ft_databrowser>redraw_cb at 1309
>>   In ft_databrowser at 508
>> Warning: Imaginary parts of complex X and/or Y arguments ignored
>> > In ft_plot_vector at 191
>>   In ft_databrowser>redraw_cb at 1309
>>   In ft_databrowser at 508
>>                                           ****** these errors repeat
>> about 10 times, then:
>> plotting component topographies...
>> Error using griddata (line 79)
>> Not enough unique sample points specified.
>>
>> Error in ft_plot_topo (line 153)
>> [Xi,Yi,Zi] = griddata(chanX', chanY, dat, xi', yi, interpmethod); %
>> interpolate the topographic data
>>
>> Error in ft_databrowser>redraw_cb (line 1377)
>>       ft_plot_topo(chanx, chany, chanz, 'mask', laychan.mask,
>> 'interplim', 'mask', 'outline', laychan.outline, 'tag', 'topography',
>>
>> Error in ft_databrowser (line 508)
>> redraw_cb(h);
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Dave
>>

>> On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 11:17 AM, Dave Deriso <dderiso at ucsd.edu> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear JM and Jörn,
>>>
>>> Thank you so much for your helpful suggestions. Matlab could not
>>> find/open layout file: *NM306.lay* with both *ft_topoplotTFR* and*
>>>  ft_topoplotIC*. I have also tried each of the following layouts
>>> without success:
>>>
>>> cfg.layout    =3D data.grad;
>>> cfg.layout    =3D 'neuromag306all.lay';
>>> cfg.layout    =3D 'neuromag306cmb.lay';
>>> cfg.layout    =3D 'neuromag306mag.lay';