[FieldTrip] rereference to repaired channel

Ingrid Nieuwenhuis inieuwenhuis at berkeley.edu
Sun Dec 11 21:06:11 CET 2011

Hi all,

I've measured EEG data with Cz as the reference. I now want to
rereference to linked mastoids. However, in one participant one of the
mastoid electrodes is really noisy. Is it valid to throw out the noisy
channel, then fix it (with ft_channelrepair), and then rereference to
this fixed mastoid channel? In other words, is channelrepair a linear
operation? Or would I be mixing (a little) Cz into all channels now...?
Any other options?

Or another way of asking: do I get the same result if I first
rereference and then fix bad channels, compared to first fixing bad
channels and then rereference? In the participant with the bad mastoid
chan, I don't have a choice, I have to first fix the channel first, or
I'd be mixing noise into all channels. But, in other participants, where
I also have bad channels (but not the mastoid ones), does the order
matter, which order is better? I'd think first rereference, then fix...
Correct?

Thanks!!
Ingrid

--