[FieldTrip] 2x3 anova in cluster analysis

Marcin Leszczynski m.leszczynski.m at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 8 17:33:45 CET 2011

Hi Jan-Mathijs and Fieldtrippers,

I have a follow up question refering to statistical inference about
monotonic trends in the permutation framework.

I have four conditions A, B, C, D and I would like to test whether there is
a monotonic change in the ERP/TF among the conditions (i.e. A<B<C<D but
possibly also A < B <= C < D). I guess one way would be to run multiple t
tests. However it seems a bit unconvenient as one needs to correct for
multiple comparisons. Furtheremore, the second case (A < B <= C < D) might
not be well captured.

I found a thread from 31 Aug 2011 ("[FieldTrip] depsamplesregrT help" by
Jonas Obleser) suggesting that depsamplesregrT will be the way to go.
However, your reply to Nico somehow destroyed my confidence. If I got the
reply correctly this is not that easy as I would be testing a particular
linear model which is a bit of a problem. Thus, the question:

How would you suggest testing for such a monotonic effect in the
permutation framework?

Best,
Marcin