[FieldTrip] coherence normalization

Tom Holroyd (NIH/NIMH) [E] tomh at kurage.nimh.nih.gov
Fri Dec 2 18:52:07 CET 2011

The solution I have adopted is to always look at coherence contrasts. Make two volumes using the same reference dipole in two different conditions, then subtract the volumes. The self-coherence of the reference will disappear. Mostly. Then use stats, like a U-test.

Jan.Hirschmann at med.uni-duesseldorf.de wrote:
> Hi community,
>

> Regarding this thread on suppressing the reference dipole from 2004, what is the current status? Has anybody found and implemented a recommendable way to project out activity from unwanted dipoles? Thank you for any comments/opinions!
>

> Best,
>
> Jan Hirschmann
>

> On 21 Oct 2004, at 17:23, Tom Holroyd wrote:
>

>>/ When running a coherence volume using a reference dipole, one/
>
>>/ naturally expects the coherence will be high around the reference/
>
>>/ dipole./
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ This effect tends to dominate the images./
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ Is there a way to normalize the coherence volume to eliminate/
>
>>/ this effect?  Perhaps by dividing by the coherence in a "control"/
>
>>/ state?/
>

> Hi Tom,
>

> The dominating effect of the refdip is indeed very problematic. I just
>
> happened to have discussed this with Joachim Gross, and I have included
>
> our email exchange below. Please first read that ...
>

> Basically I agree with Joachim, and I don't trust the supdip that is
>
> implemented in FieldTrip's sourceanalysis function. Better test and map
>
> the significance of the difference in coherence between two conditions
>
> using randomization of the trials before the coherence is beamed (that
>
> is implemented in sourceanalysis + sourcestatistics).
>

> Robert

> my question to Joachim was

>>/ Date: 1 October 2004 10:26:02 GMT+02:00/

>>/ Subject: dipole suppression/
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ Hi Joachim,/
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ What I always still had to ask you is how you do supression of dipoles/
>
>>/ in DICS, especially in the case of coherence imaging. I have thought/
>
>>/ of two ways of projecting them out:/
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ 1) compute supdip leadfield and its projection on the COV/CSD matrix,/
>
>>/ then project it out of the COV/CSD matrix (which looses 2 or 3 from/
>
>>/ its rank)./
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ 2) compute supdip leadfield and add it to the leadfield of the dipole/
>
>>/ with which is scanned (scandip). Subsequently compute the source/
>
>>/ COV/CSD on those 6 leadfield components and select the 3x3 submatrix/
>
>>/ that corresponds with the scandip to continue the computations with./
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ Both methods don't really gave me very convincing results. A third/
>
>>/ approach would be to add the supdip leadfield to the (identity) noise/
>
>>/ matrix and project it through the filters. Then nai=pow/noise is/
>
>>/ corrected for the presence of the supdip, but that does not result in/
>
>>/ a supressed source coherence distribution. What is your idea or/
>
>>/ approach for this?/
>
>>/ /
>
>>/ best regards/

> [...]

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two
opposed ideas in the mind at the same time, and still retain the
ability to function." — F. Scott Fitzgerald