[FieldTrip] assessing significance in using ft_timelockanalysis results

Kanal Eliezer ekanal at cmu.edu
Tue Aug 30 17:58:34 CEST 2011

Hello Eric -

Thanks for the response. It looks like the fixed vs random analysis is exactly what I'm referring to. From what I understood, it looks like the difference really only shows up in the variance of the resultant distribution; with a random, the variance also takes into account the betwee-subjects variance. Is there a way to specify whether I want to do a fixed or random effects analysis in FieldTrip when I'm running ft_timelockgrandaverage or ft_freqgrandaverage? Thanks!

Elli

p.s. - In case anyone else is trying to figure this out, chapter 12 of Friston's book "Statistical Parametric Mapping" does an excellent job explaining the difference between fixed and random analyses, as well as how to implement it algorithmically.