[FieldTrip] assessing significance in using ft_timelockanalysis results

Kanal Eliezer ekanal at cmu.edu
Fri Aug 26 18:19:45 CEST 2011

Hello folks -

The event related statistics tutorial (http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/tutorial/eventrelatedstatistics) talks about assessing significance parametrically by running t-tests on pooled timelockanalysis data. My question is, does the fact that the averages were created from N trials make a difference? If I'm condition A has twelve averages and condition B has another twelve, and each average contains 70 trials, is there a way to "inform" the statistical test that the power in this dataset is greater than 24? Is this only possible if I run the t-test comparing each set of 840 (70*12) trials?

I'm also curious whether this is possible with non-parametric analyses, as well. Thanks -

Elli Kanal

Eliezer Kanal, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Fellow
Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition
Carnegie Mellon University
4400 Fifth Ave, Suite 110A
Pittsburgh PA 15213
P: 412-268-4115