[FieldTrip] power line noise reduction

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Aug 8 19:43:40 CEST 2011

Hi Beth,

It seems from your approach, that you use a long stretch of data on which you apply the dftfilter. The dftfilter only works well, if the power line fluctuations are stationary in amplitude. Another way of stating it, is that the line noise really has to be a very narrowband line in the spectrum (relative to the epoch length). Typically, the dftfilter works well only up to an epoch length of ~ 10 seconds (sometimes even less if there are sources of non-stationary power line interference). In your case I would either chop up the data in shorter segments, or use a notch filter (or a lowpassfilter; I would rather go for the low frequency stuff to begin with in the resting state).