Coherence differences and factorial designs

Eric Maris e.maris at DONDERS.RU.NL
Wed Sep 29 11:18:06 CEST 2010

Dear Suresh,

>     In a fixed effects context I have been obtaining coherence
> estimates. I have been reading Maris et al 2007 and the theory there
> describes how to test between two different conditions
> I would like to extend the theory in that paper (2.7.1) to k sample
> (one factor eg 1 x 3 ANOVA) and two-way (e.,g. 2 x 2 designs). I was
> wondering if anyone had attempted such a thing if it can be done, and
> in particular how one might go about constructing an apprppriate test
> statistic and surrogate distribution? Prior implementation in fieldtrip
> isnt needed its more the theory behind it I am asking about

Statistical comparison of coherence estimates in k samples is discussed by
Amjad et al (2007) in J. Neurosc. Methods.

In the permutation framework there is no analogue of the factorial ANOVA
(involving both main and interaction effects) for the simple reason that the
interaction null hypothesis cannot be tested in the permutation framework.
There is at least one thread in the Fieldtrip Discussion list that deals
with this issue. However, it is possible to test multiple conditional null
hypotheses (main effect of one factor separately for each of the levels of
another factor) and this comes close to an interaction effect test.

Good luck,

Eric Maris