strange segmentation w/ ft_volumesegment

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at DONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Sep 21 11:34:10 CEST 2010

Dear Matt,

 From your figure it looks as if there is a coregistration problem
causing the segmentation (in SPM8) to return nonsense results. It is
important to note the following: the SPM segmentation routine relies
on matchin the anatomy of the single subject's MRI to a series of
templates. In order for this to work well, the anatomy should be
approximately coregistered with these templates. FieldTrip tries to
achieve this in ft_volumesegment. This seems to go wrong in your case.
Two things are problematic here: permuting and flipping mri.anatomy
without changing mri.transform is wrong, because the block of voxels
containing the anatomy does not correspond anymore to the voxel to
head coordinate system transformation as specified in mri.transform.
Next, the convention for anatomical MRIs in EEG/MEG is that the
coordinate system which defines 'headspace' is different from the SPM
convention. In other words, probably you should change cfg.coordinates
into 'ctf' before calling ft_volumesegment, because ft_volumerealign
will give you the transformation to headspace as defined by the
fiducials.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen