significance of coherence differences

Eric Maris e.maris at DONDERS.RU.NL
Thu Sep 9 10:02:27 CEST 2010

Dear Claudia,

> I too am confused about coherence and its statistical analysis..I am
> trying to
> calculate the coherence between POz and 47 other channels in a
> multisubject
> study (N=19) with a within-subject design to test (1) whether coherence
> in
> condition 'Figure' is the same as in condition 'No figure', and (2)
> whether
> coherence differs between 3 conditions 'Hits', 'Misses' and 'Correct
> rejections'.
>
> Either way I am not sure about a couple of things:
>
> 1) This is maybe a silly question but in your reply to Jan's post you
> state: "...You apply this test statistic to the condition-specific
> coherences,
> obtained by summing and normalizing the trial(taper)-specific cross-
> spectra..." - You mean averaging the trial-specific cross-spectra (and
> trial-
> specific powerspectra) right? Moreover does this mean that
> cfg.keeptrials can
> be set to 'no' when calculating the powerspectra and cross-spectra with
> freqanalysis(_mtmconvol)? This would be great news for me, since the 4D
> freqdata is too large to save..

For statistical testing in a within-subjects design (units-of-observation
are subjects and not trials) you don't need the trials. So, you can safely
put cfg.keeptrials to 'no'.

By the way, try using  freqanalysis_mtmfft (frequency analysis without time
resolution) before freqanalysis_mtmconvol (with time resolutions). This
makes life a lot easier and conceptually you're doing the same thing.

> 2) Another related question comes from the fact that the experiment had
> 3
> different masking durations, so to combine the powerspectra belonging
> to the
> same condition (i.e. the Figs) but different mask durations we
> calculated
> weighted averages based on the least amount of trials in each Mask
> duration
> group. My question now would be whether the normalization to get the
> coherence values should be done before or after this weighing (In other
> words,
> should I weigh the cross-spectra or the coherence values, or does this
> not
> matter?)

I don't see why you have to deal with the normalization yourself. You can
use ft_freqdescriptives or ft_connectivityanalysis to calculate the
coherence values taking the freqanalsis output as its input.

In any case, to obtain coherence values from the cross-spectra, one should
always normalize (i.e., divide) by the square-roots of the power-spectra
calculated on the same trials.

I may be wrong, but it seems that you are making life more difficult than it
should be.

> 3) Now for the statistics. Again in your reply to Jan's post you say:
> "...For a
> single channel pair and a single frequency bin, the appropriate
> statistic is the
> dependent (paired) samples t-statistic or, in a nonparametric
> framework, the
> Wilcoxon signed rank sum test." Does this mean it is not valid to use
> freqstatistics with cfg.method = 'montecarlo' and cfg.statistic =
> 'depsamplesT'
> (and cfg.correctm = 'fdr' or 'cluster') if I want to test whether the
> coherence
> between POz (my ref.channel) and the 47 other channels is the same in
> different conditions, using all my frequency and time bins? Do I need
> to make a
> selection?

What you propose IS valid to control for multiple comparisons. However, in
my reply to Jan, I consider a single statistical test ("... For a single
channel pair and a single frequency bin, ..."); so, no multiple comparisons
problem here.

Good luck,

Eric