averaging Hilbert amplitudes

Adrian Bartlett adrian.m.bartlett at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 20 20:53:35 CEST 2010

Hi Karl,

In short, the former method gives you a mixture of time-locked power changes
and and the inter-trial phase coherence, since departures from perfect phase
locking will attenuate the amplitude of the average of your trials in the
time domain. Taking the hilbert amplitude envelope of single trials and then
averaging will yield the closest we can get the 'induced' response, or
time-locked power changes.
To reiterate, averaging in the time domain confounds power changes and phase
differences between trials. A good paper that touches on these topics is
Makeig et al. (2004) "Mining event-related brain dynamics".
I'm sure my comments on single-trial power as the 'induced' response will
cause a stir here, and if you look in the archives there are extensive past
discussions on the topic of isolating the 'induced' response from the
'evoked' (phase-locked)

Hope that helps some,

- Adrian M. Bartlett
Department of Psychology (MA Candidate)