Wavelet vs. Multitaper

Roemer van der Meij r.vandermeij at DONDERS.RU.NL
Mon May 3 17:36:45 CEST 2010

Hi Roni,

I haven't looked in detail at all the other settings you use, but you
apparently use a different number of cycles for the wavelets in both
methods. For the multitapers, you use 2 cycles per wavelet (which are
then convolved with the set of dpss tapers), whereas you use 1 cycle for
your Morlet wavelets (which are then convolved with a hanning taper (or
something similar)). This will make the time-window for spectral
estimation twice as long for the multitapers than for your Morlet
wavelets. You could try setting cfg.width = 2 for 'wltconvol'.

Hope it helps a bit,

Roemer

--
Roemer van der Meij MSc