evoked field amplitude

Rojas, Don Don.Rojas at UCDENVER.EDU
Thu Jun 3 22:04:29 CEST 2010

I disagree somewhat with the idea that we don't know how to reliably go from sensor to source space. For datasets with large SNR sensory and motor evoked responses, constrained inverse solutions can be quite reliable and correspond very well in some cases with fMRI (whether evoked responses and fMRI "should" correspond to each other is a different question). The literature has many examples of this type of inverse.

Some potential pros, depending on the validity of your source solution and your experiment:

 1.  Reduction of the number of comparisons made (e.g., 275 MEG sensors in the CTF system at NIMH can be reduced to several ECDs in some simple sensory experiments).
 2.  Independence of the source strength from the sensor-brain distance (signal amplitudes in MEG sensors in particular are highly dependent on how far away the head is from the sensory array and this can vary tremendously from subject to subject).
 3.  Higher signal to noise ratio, depending on the approach used. Some spatial filtering approaches such as SSP, beamforming, etc. can substantially reduce the impact of noise from non-brain source such as magnetic dental work artifacts in MEG, gamma-band range muscle activity in EEG, etc.

Some potential cons:

 1.  Invalid source models can nullify any potential advantage.
 2.  In cognitive experiments, some potential sources may not have very large activity relative to the sensory evoked fields/potentials you measure, and depending on the preprocessing and inverse approaches, the source model may be biased towards the larger SNR responses.
 3.  Source modeling can be computationally and/or financially expensive, particularly when highly accurate individual anatomical MRI segmentations are needed to construct the conductor model.

Best,

Don
Don Rojas, Ph.D.
Director, Magnetoencephalography Laboratory
University of Colorado Denver