Help with dipole fitting

Ludwing Torres lumatobu2 at HOTMAIL.COM
Fri Jul 23 02:56:34 CEST 2010

Hi, I'm very sorry for using capital letters, please excuse me.
I'm new at fieldtrip, I don't know much about this and I'm searching for help desperately.
Well, I am trying to compute a fordward model by now, like this:

V=A*J

where:

V= a matrix of potentials measured in the scalp surface by each electrode, for example 32 electrodes or channels and 5 seconds at 256 samples per second, (which is equal to 5*256=1280, which comes to a 32x1280 matrix, one epoch I guess, and one trial, just measure, no events, please correct me if i'm wrong)

J= a matrix of the sources in the brain that produce the potentials above, with its time course, which are more than the electrodes placed there.
    Let me understand this: ¿these sources and its time course, are the same dipole moments?
    If so, ¿The sources (dipoles) have a time component in the three dimensions in the dipoles?
    Thus, if we consider 128 sources, ¿ are we considering 128 dipoles, and J matrix would be 128x1280 with the time course?
    or ¿Are we considering 128 sources of 3 dimensions and J matrix would be of 128x(1280x3)?
A= the lead field matrix. I've seen the function compute_leadfield of FieldTrip, This uses the electrodes positions, the dipoles (or sources) positions, and the standard volume of sphere and conductivities to perform the computing of a leadfield matrix that has dimensions numch x (3xnums)  where numch=nuber of channels or electrodes (32 in this case)  and  nums=number of sources (in this case  128)  ¿why is the number of sources multiplied by 3?  ¿ it is because they compute the leadfield matrix to each of the cartesian coordinates? and if so, ¿How should I take the J matrix to compute the fordward model? ¿ should I take this each row having the time course of the sources, in the order:  row 1:3 dipole n1 (x;y;z) ,  row 4:6  dipole n2 (x;y;z)  , row 7:9  dipole n3  (x;y;z)  , row 10:12  dipole n4 (x;y;z)   and so on? ¿ so, I'd have a (128x3)x1280 matrix, (128x3) rows and 1280 columns, and not like above 128x(1280x3)?

And, once I have performed the forward model and I compute the V matrix, ¿Which function could I use to perform the inverse problem, i.e. , could I use a function that allows me recovering or regain the J matrix from the A and V matrices, and compare the new J with the old J to see if the inverse problem could be performed well?

Please, If you could suggest me some article or book or paragraph that I can read to clear these doubts, or if you could clear these to me yourselves, I would be very much thankful to you, please I'm begging you help please. Sorry for all the possible fouls and lacks of politeness, sincerely.Thanks for your attention.

Explore the seven wonders of the world