Independent channels stats question

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at DONDERS.RU.NL
Tue Jul 6 13:21:58 CEST 2010

Dear Matthew,

Your sensitivity problem is a known issue when using cluster-based
test statistics, in which it is difficult to get small clusters
significant in the presence of large clusters. This could also occur
within a single channel (for example with a time-frequency
decomposition, in which the summed spectro-temporal extent of an alpha-
band effect could be much bigger than a gamma-band effect).
In your case I think it would be statistically valid to do the cluster-
based permutation test on each channel separately (which will involve
a for loop around ft_freqstatistics, because it is not implemented in
the fieldtrip code) and doing a post-hoc Bonferroni correction on the
resulting p-values. If the number of channels is not too big, this
might work.

Good luck,

Jan-Mathijs

On Jul 6, 2010, at 3:26 AM, Matthew Davidson wrote:

> Hi, this is Matthew Davidson. I recently took the Fieldtrip EEG/MEG
> Toolkit (Hi Robert and Jan-Mathis!), and have been diving into using
> Fieldtrip more directly.
>
> My question pertains to cluster-based correction when channels are
> independent. My data is primarily intracranial EEG, and due to the
> 1/f^2 power drop-off, electrodes directly on the brain reflect local
> activity much more strongly than sensors further away. As a result, we
> treat them as independent. Now, I can force the Fieldtrip clustering
> algorithm to not cluster across channels by setting:
>
> cfg.neighbours = [];
> cfg.minnbchan = 0;
>
> but it still computes the maximum cluster size for a particular
> permutation based on *all* the data. This seems... less sensitive
> somehow, as if large clusters in one channel negatively impact the
> significance of clusters in another channel.
>
> Is there a better way to do this and still solve the MCP? E.g.,
> compute the maxsum on each channel separately, and then use something
> like FDR or Bonferroni correction on the maxsums across channels?
>
> Thanks for any advice you may have, and thanks for producing
> fieldtrip!
> Matthew

> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users
> of the FieldTrip  toolbox, to share experiences and to discuss new
> ideas for MEG and EEG analysis. See also http://listserv.surfnet.nl/archives/fieldtrip.html
>  and http://www.ru.nl/neuroimaging/fieldtrip.

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,