Saving preprocessed data in a raw MEG format

Nathan Weisz nathanweisz at MAC.COM
Wed Jul 14 09:49:19 CEST 2010

hi,

> I'm using MNE software to perform the localization, since Fieldtrip is
> only able to do this on time-frequency data now.  The thing is that I've

I do not think that this is correct. you may want to look at Figure 2E in:
Grützner et al. (2010). Neuromagnetic correlates of perceptual closure processes. J Neurosci

at least the authors state that they used fieldtrip, so i assume they used minumumnormestimate.m.

it might be correct that this function is not so intensively developed, as not so many fieldtrippers seem to use it.

but before going through all the pain of exporting your data, you may want to quickly check if your results make sense using the FT-version (e.g. sanity checks on some ERP where you know where the main generators should be).

in case you are not satisfied with the FT-minimumnorm, an alternative to MNE would be to use brainstorm. i think they use mat-files, so it should be fairly easy to mimick to output of some brainstorm processing stage and continue with source analysis. haven't tried it myself but i have a colleague who does this quite successfully.

yet another alternative would be to use nutmeg. it should contain a sLORETA option and a function to directly read FT-preproc-structures. at least the developer wrote such a function to read some of my FT-structures into nutmeg. so if it is not contained in the release you might ask to become a beta-tester :-)

good luck,

Dr. Nathan Weisz

OBOB-Lab
University of Konstanz
Department of Psychology
P.O. Box D23
78457 Konstanz
Germany

Tel: ++49 - (0)7531 - 88 45 84
Email: nathan.weisz at uni-konstanz.de
Homepage: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/obob

"Nothing shocks me. I'm a scientist." (Indiana Jones)