Some problem using the fieldtripbuffer

Thu Jan 14 21:54:23 CET 2010

Hi Teris,

I have also occasionally encountered the problem with opening a TCP connection on windows (i.e. bci2000). The error means that the client (MATLAB) is not able to make a connection to the server (the fieldtrip buffer which is running under BCI2000).

On a Linux or OSX only setup (both the matlab client and the buffer server running on linux and/or OSX) the problem never happened to me. I don't know where in the code the problem is, and since it is so difficult to reproduce, I also don't know where to start looking in the code. If it results in problems for you, then I suggest you do something like

function varargout = retry_read_header(varargin)
retry = 100;
while retry>0
  try
      varargout = read_header(varargin{:});
      break;
  end
  retry = retry - 1;
end

and something similar for read_data and read_event.

Of course it would be better if the problem were fully diagnosed and subsequently fixed, so any suggestions are welcome.

best regards,
Robert

Robert Oostenveld, PhD
Senior Researcher