cluster-based permutation tests on single subjects

Eric Maris e.maris at DONDERS.RU.NL
Wed Jan 6 10:29:14 CET 2010

Hi Tim,

> I have a few related questions about Maris and Oostenveld's (2007) method
for
> cluster-based permutation tests, in particular using an indepsamplesT
statistic in a
> between-trials design on single subjects.
> 1. Is it problematic to have very different numbers of trials within each
condition?

No, it is not.

> 2.  Any advice for calculating statistical power for different numbers of
trials within
> each condition?

I'm not sure whether I understand what you mean. Anyhow, analytical
statistical power calculation (as is possible for T-tests and anovas) are
not possible for permutation tests. However, one can obtain Monte Carlo
estimates of power using simulations under the alternative hypothesis.

> 3. Might it be advisable to somehow trim the trials (e.g., Leonowicz,
Karvanen, &
> Shishkin, 2005) to remove outliers prior to analysis?

This may increase your sensitivity. However, to obtain sound p-values, you
must do trimming in a way that does not induce differences between the
experimental conditions.

Best,

Eric Maris

> Any advice would be much appreciated.
> thanks
> Tim
> The aim of this list is to facilitate the discussion between users of the
FieldTrip