Units powspctrm

Martin Bleichner bleichner.martin at GMAIL.COM
Mon Aug 16 10:46:15 CEST 2010

Hi Arjen,

my point is that I am interested not in the relative difference between
signals but in the actual difference in microvolt. I know that this is not
the standard thing to do but that is what I need .

After playing aroud a bit i come to the following conlcusion

Lets say I have two signals (pure sine 20 Hz; sampling freq 512) one with an
amplitude of 100uV and one with an aplitude of 200uV.
Computing a power spectrum using matlab fft function I can eventually  read
out that the difference between my two signals is 100uV.

In ft_freqanalysis_mtmfft the signal is multiplied by a taper
line 340 dum=fft([data.trial{perlop}(sgnindx(sgnlop),:).*tap(taplop,:)
pad],[],2);

The output can hence not be transformed back right away to the real
microvolt values, but happens to be scaled (in my case ) by a factor of
~0.036 (which is the mean value of the taper)

At least that is what I think happens.

Regards
Martin