difference between mtmconvol and mtmfft

Thomas Hartmann thomas.hartmann at UNI-KONSTANZ.DE
Tue Aug 17 16:51:38 CEST 2010

  hi,
from the descriptions of the two functions ft_freqanalysis_mtmconvol and
ft_freqanalysis_mtmfft i thought that those two functions should work
more or less equivalent - the first just doing it multiple times to get
a time-frequency representation.
to localize a significant cluster from my tf-representation, i
recalculated the fft (including the csd, of course) using the exact same
arguments for latency, window-size, frequency, padding, taper etc....
but the results do differ. not dramatically but considerably. does
anyone have an explanation for this?

thanks a lot in advance,
thomas

--
Dipl. Psych. Thomas Hartmann

OBOB-Lab
University of Konstanz
Department of Psychology
P.O. Box D25
78457 Konstanz
Germany

Tel.: +49 (0)7531 88 4612
Fax: +49 (0)7531-88 4601
Email: thomas.hartmann at uni-konstanz.de
Homepage: http://www.uni-konstanz.de/obob

"I am a brain, Watson. The rest of me is a mere appendix. " (Arthur Conan Doyle)