Removing ECG artifacts via ICA in a Steady State experiment without EMG Channel (MEG)

Panagiotis Tsiatsis Panagiotis.Tsiatsis at TUEBINGEN.MPG.DE
Fri Aug 6 10:44:56 CEST 2010

Dear all,

I am a newbie in fieldtrip. First of all I would like to say thanks for
your beautiful work and support.

I am facing the following problem : I am running a Visual Steady State
MEG experiment (CTF scanner) and I want to remove the ECG artifacts but
I do not have an EMG channel available. I haven't managed to go fully
through the analysis (by the way, I was getting errors when trying to
run your ICA ECG example, but let me take another look) but I am worried
that by using the 'left' MEG channels (MLT) alone to detect the
artifacts I will not manage to go far, as the ECG activity will be
obscured by the steady state activity (10 Hz flickering light) and I
will not be able to from a proper averaged / typical ECG. Does anybody
have any experience with this? I know that it is quite silly to ask you
before trying completely and therefore I apologize beforehand. Once I
have fully gone through the analysis I can inform you on whether I
managed to do it reliably.

Thanks and best,
Panagiotis