fiducials: head -> MRI ccordinates ?

Markus Bauer m.bauer at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Apr 27 15:36:39 CEST 2010

Hi Vladimir

thanks a lot for your elaborated and detailed response...

to quickly summarize and check that I have understood you correctly:

forward.datareg.fid_mri.fid.pnt -

"sensor coordinate" based positions of the fiducials.
'sensor based' meaning here that they are in the same coordinate system
as the D.sensors (or in fieldtrip the 'grad' definition) - but does not
(necessarily) mean that they are "locked" to the actual sensor
positions. those can vary between datasets (esp for MEG)

D.inv{...}.mesh.Affine -

is the transformation matrix between the coordinate system inherent to
the individual MRI (i.e usually the analyze file *.hdr/*.img) and the MNI

the transformation matrix (in the code represented by 'M1') that rotates
the 'sensor-based' (in the case of CTF: head-based) coordinate system
onto the native individual's MRI (as in the analyze file) - is not
directly stored but can be obtained by:

inv(D.inv{val}.mesh.Affine) * D.inv{val}.datareg(ind).toMNI

Thanks a lot again. I guess that should be correct and seems quite clear.
Markus