Induced activity

Stanley Klein sklein at BERKELEY.EDU
Wed Apr 7 10:55:41 CEST 2010

This is a most interesting and important thread.  I would think that one
would want to separate the time-locked from the non-time-locked components
independent of whether they were generated by a true additive response,
or by phase resetting or by asymmetric modulation of noise. The reason is
that the ERP/ERF is so simple to show in a standard one-dimensional plot
that one would want to separate it out. Then one would want to display the
rest of the response in some sorts of power and coherence plots. The obvious
thing to do is to subtract off the ERP from each event on a trial by trail
basis as Thomas suggested 7 days ago, and then calculate power and
coherence. I don't see what's wrong with that as a first approximation.

The thing I'd do as a 2nd approximation is to take into account the changing
gain from trial to trial whereby the amplitude (but not phase, for
simplicity) of the evoked response can change from trial to trial.  Suppose:

V(t, k) is the raw data on the kth trial
Ve(t), the evoked response, is the mean of V(t,k) , averaged over all k
trials.
Pe = Ve(t) Ve(t)  is the power of the evoked response. We are using the
     Einstein summation convention of summing over repeated indices (t in
this case) .
f (k)=V(t,k) Ve(t) / Pe is the amplitude of the evoked response on the kth
trial.
The induced response can now be obtained:
Vi(t, k) = V(t, k) - f(k) Ve(t)

By the definition of f(k) the dot product of Vi and Ve is zero for each k.
If one doesn't do this doesn't one get all sort of things that look like
coherence but that are simply the dumb, standard ERP/ERF. I hope I'm not
saying something stupid by forgetting something simple.
Stan