redefinetrial_offset option

jan-mathijs schoffelen jan.schoffelen at DONDERS.RU.NL
Fri Apr 16 15:02:07 CEST 2010

Hi Natalia,

The 'offset'-column in a trl-matrix tells you how many points you have
to move away from t=0, to get to the begin of the trial. In other
words, for a given trial, if the offset value is negative, this means
that you have to move X samples to the right to get to time point t=0.
Consequently, the first value of the corresponding time-axis is
negative. Important to keep in mind is that the third column of the
trl-matrix defines the 'local time axis' of your epoch of interest,
whereas the first two columns represent the begin and end sample of
the epoch, fixed to the 'absolute recording time'. This means that if
you only want to shift the local time axis, those first columns should
not change.
Now, if you want to realign the time axes of your epochs of interest
according to the vector you described (a negative value of -51 meaning
that the sub-event occurred before the trigger event) this implies
that the newly defined t=0 moves to the left, and that implies that
you have to add 51 samples to the third element in the trl-row.

Hope this helps,

Jan-Mathijs

Dr. J.M. (Jan-Mathijs) Schoffelen
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging,