Induced activity

Thomas Witzel twitzel at NMR.MGH.HARVARD.EDU
Tue Apr 6 17:56:53 CEST 2010

Maybe I wasn't clear. The trick is to maintain the
complex components (real and imag) after the wavelet transform, then to
separate induced and evoked and then to calculate power in the end.
This can be done with entire TFRs that way. I'm not sure whether this is
possible in the regular fieldtrip workflow which might cause confusion with
terminology here.
As for the ERF not reflecting activity that might not be present in this
form in the trials, I guess we have a bit of a philosophical question
here. The entire premise of an ERF is that the brain response is identical
in every trial + some noise. Since EEG/MEG is extremely noisy you can't
tell from single trials whats really going on, so averaging all trials
could be the best estimation of what the signal in every trial looks like.
Now, of course we know that this is not entirely true, because in many
experiments we know of systematic trial to trial variation, in which
case the whole ERF or for that matter most common analysis methods are
inappropriate.
Also, even if there is random trial to trial variation, some of it might
not be noise, as already described by Schimmel back in 1967 in a nice
Science article. This is where the induced signal comes in. For me its
signal that can be detected by its respective increase or decrease in
power, but its not coherent across trials so it cancels mostly in ERFs.
Now subtracting the ERF from every trial brings the assumption back in
that the evoked signal is the same in every trial which it might be or
might not be. In most of the experiments I have analyzed subaverages
(separate even and odd trials, or early and late ones) were very similar,
so the assumption that the evoked response is the same in every trial was
fair.
Practically I found that subtracting the ERF or not, has very little
impact on the final outcome, but I didn't test every case, so I'm
subtracting where its deemed appropriate....

Thomas